Pre-Operative ACL Rehabilitation
Once the diagnosis is confirmed and decision is made by treating doctor and the patient; it’s crucial to prepare your knee for surgery.
Physiotherapy prior to Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) repair has shown to improve overall outcome. Pre operative physiotherapy can have positive impacts on overall recovery.
ACL tears do not necessarily require repair surgery. There are some important factors to consider before deciding to undergo repair or reconstruction.
- Knee instability
- If engaged in sports or any activities that require a functional ACL
When to begin with prehab after ACL tear
- Immediately after injury to reduce swelling and pain
- Start with range of movement and strengthening exercises as swelling reduces
- Walking is encouraged with torn ACL only pivoting has to be avoided
Goal of physiotherapist prior to ACL repair
- Restore normal range of motion
- Strengthen Quadriceps and Hamstring muscle
- Control pain and swelling in Knee joint
- Maximize balance and proprioception